The Student News Site of Pierson High School
Back to Article
Back to Article

Pierson’s Fashion Workshop

Pierson’s Fashion Workshop

March 29, 2019

Are you looking for something to do this weekend? The Pierson Fashion workshop is having an exhibition at the Keyes Gallery, located by The American Hotel on 53 Main Street, from March 30 to March 31. This is the workshop’s first ever gallery set up, though the program has displayed previous pieces at places such as The Long House and The John Jermain Library. The exhibition opens on March 30 from 6-8 pm and will run from 10 am to 6 pm the following day.
At the gallery, the workshop will be displaying dresses, recycled bags, and mood boards made by students throughout the year, and yes, there will be food. The Fashion workshop, run by Peter Solow and Monica Frisbie, started the preparations for the exhibition this summer, designing dresses with fabric donated by designer Donna Karan and Urban Zen.
The students designed dresses inspired by self-created mood boards and were then sent to be sewn by Bernarda Ochoa. As the school year rolled around, the students began to work on upcycling old materials to design unique and creative bags. These bags were made out of beach balls, old jeans, feed bags, kites, etc. Juniors Phoebe Topping and Gianna Ekstra explain that “gathering recycled materials and using them to create garments and accessories has been an inspiring and eye-opening experience.”
Both the dresses and bags from the high school workshop, grades 7-12, and the pilot program for elementary students and their parents, created by senior Gabby Knabb, will be displayed at the exhibition. Monica Frisbie, the award-winning designer who runs the high school program, describes that “Working with the Pierson kids has been an honor. I am so proud of each of the student’s unique incorporation of the original inspiration into their own creations. It’s been amazing to see their personalities come through each design and watch them develop through the design process.”
The three-year-old Fashion Workshop has the purpose of providing students with the experience of designing and creating fashion and is funded by the Donald Reutershan Educational Trust. The exhibition will be opening at 6 pm this Saturday, so make sure to stop by and show your support for this fantastic program.

The Hypothetical • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in