Pierson Cross Country at Van Cortlandt Park

Coleman Dee and Emily Squires

On Saturday, October 12th, the largest Cross Country Invitational race in the United States was held in Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx. With 275 schools from all across the Northeast attending and around 10,000 high schoolers racing, it was a truly massive, and important race. The event was sponsored and organized by Manhattan college.
The Pierson High School Cross Country team attended this event, with 10 team members racing. Ben McEarlean, Peter Schaeffer, Sebastian Rameriez, Truman Yardley, Nick McCoy, Peter Ramundo, Thomas Schiavoni, Owen Caulfield, Coleman Dee, and Griffin Greene. Three races took place at the event, the varsity race, the Sophomore race, and the Freshmen race.
Running the 2.5 mile long varsity race were Pierson students Ben McEarlean, Peter Schaeffer, Sebastian Rameriez, Truman Yardley, and Nick McCoy. Ben McEarlean, a high school junior and the star runner for the team, finished the 2.5 mile long varsity race in just 13 minutes and 49 seconds. For his placement in the race, 31st, Ben received a medal.
Also running the 2.5 mile varsity race was Peter Schaeffer, a senior, who finished with a time of 14 minutes and 41 seconds, as well as Sebastian Rameriez, a junior, who finished in 87th place with a time of 16 minutes and 53 seconds. Truman Yardley, a junior, also ran in the varsity race, finishing in 157th place with a time of 16 minutes and 56 seconds. Nick McCoy, also a junior, ran the race in 19 minutes and 13 seconds and placed 179th in the race.
Running the 2.5 mile long sophomore race was Peter Ramundo, Thomas Schiavoni and Owen Caulfield. Peter Ramundo finished the race in only 15 minutes and 4 seconds and placed 22nd in the race. Thomas Schiavoni completed the course in 16 minutes and 2 seconds, coming in 52nd place. Owen Caulfield finished the race with a time of 18 minutes and 26 seconds, finishing in 110th place. Both Thomas Schiavoni and Peter Ramundo won medals for their placements in the race.
Only two freshmen ran the 1.5 mile long race, Coleman Dee and Griffin Greene. Coleman Dee completed the race in 7 minutes and 32 seconds, and placed 57th among the runners. Griffin Greene came in at 7 minutes and 42 seconds, in 65th place. Both Coleman and Griffin received medals for their rankings.
The event was truly momentous and it was great that our school was given the opportunity to participate in such a special event.