The National Day of Silence at Pierson

Caitlin McSweeney, Editor in Chief

The GLSEN National Day of Silence is in support of the LGBTQ+ community for those who are unable to come out or express themselves in school.  Those who go to Pierson have probably sat in school on April 23rd in previous years either sitting in silence or wondering why some people weren’t talking in school. 

Students and teachers alike stand in solidarity with LGBTQ+ kids on this day; you can get a rainbow ribbon pin to make this apparent. In class, students will choose not to speak and stay silent throughout the school day. The reasoning behind this is to show how kids who are part of the LGBTQ+ community have to stay silent in school because it’s not safe for them. Allies and people of the community stay silent to show their support for their struggle. I interviewed Ms. Little of Pierson’s pupil personnel services and the advisor for Pierson’s Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) about the National Day of Silence.

When did the school start participating in the Day of Silence?

“It happened before I became the GSA advisor, I’m going to say it’s probably been seven years now?”

Why do students stay silent throughout the day?

“The vow of silence is a show of support and solidarity with LGBTQIA+ students who feel like they have been silenced by bullying and intimidation in schools.”

What are some other ways we can support LGBTQ+ people in our community?

“I think the best way is to be an ally, which means listening and supporting and standing up for people when you see harassment. People who bully and harrass LGBT students should know that the student body doesn’t support what they do.”

So, while you go through your classes today, pay attention to the voices you don’t hear. It’s important to familiarize yourself with the struggles that other people face of which you might not be aware of.