Thousands of Fully-Vaccinated Americans Find Themselves With COVID-19

Fernando Menjura, Writer

On April 15th, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that about 5,800 out of the over 77 million fully-vaccinated Americans have had so-called “breakout infections.” Many of the breakouts involved light COVID-19 symptoms similar to the flu and many people were asymptomatic. Being that no vaccine out there is 100% effective, the chance of getting COVID-19 or any variants is still possible, but still rare.

A statement made in an email by a CDC spokesperson said that over 75% of the people with the breakout infection were not hospitalized. In addition, 65% of the breakout infection cases were women. About 40% of the cases were of people 60 years and up. The CDC plans to bring a lot of their agency to focus on collecting additional data on the cases, which will be based on things such as demographics, vaccine type, variant type, location, and the amount of time since an individual has completed their vaccination. Hospitals and state health officials will be helping to work with the CDC to provide some of this information.

As more and more people start to get the vaccine, a sense of relief finally comes into the lives of many. Tara Smith, a professor of epidemiology at the Kent State University College of Public Health in Ohio stated, “This is a really good scenario, even with almost 6,000 breakthorugh infections. Most of those have been mildly symptomatic or asymptomatic. That’s exactly what we were hoping for.” Pfizer, Moderna, and Johnson and Johnson are the three vaccines available in the United States at the moment, saving the lives of millions today and in the future. Appointments for the vaccines are very easy to make. One of the most popular organizations to make the appointment with is Northwell Health, providing various locations around the country; you can schedule your appointment by going to their website if you are interested.