The Student News Site of Pierson High School
Back to Article
Back to Article

The Importance of Minimalism

Interior background of living room with wooden side table over white wall 3d render

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Getty Images/iStockphoto

The Importance of Minimalism

How a simple lifestyle change can save you money while saving the planet.

October 31, 2018

Do you really need it?

Take a brief moment to try and count the number of things you have in your house. Every article of clothing, Every beauty product, and even the spices in your pantry. Having difficulty counting, right? I’m sad to say that is normal in today’s society. The average American household has about 300,000 items.  Plenty of those items serve a very limited purpose and have a short lifespan. Many do not even think about the amount of trash they produce per day. In this article, I address two major topics: Minimalism and zero waste.

Minimalism is much more than another passing trend. The minimalist lifestyle consists of being able to get rid of things that one simply does not need, and avoiding, to begin with. It is being able to prioritize what matters most to eliminate those things that don’t. The ability to declutter is crucial to a more structured and put together life. It’s simple logic when you think about it. The less stuff that you have on your “plate” (for lack of a better term), the more room you have to fit in other things. This strategy can be applied physically and mentally. When adapting to the minimalist lifestyle, you have full control over how intense or lenient you will be on yourself. The overall goal is to just be able to get rid of the useless stuff you have. Start by decluttering things you do not need; old clothing, jewelry, extra shoes, and the list goes on…

Another topic that ties in with minimalism is zero waste. Although zero waste is a tad bit more challenging when compared to minimalism, it is something that should be incorporated into everyone’s daily life. The concept of zero waste is switching out things that have a temporary lifespan with those that do not in order to create “zero waste” or less and less waste as time goes on. Making switches of paper towels to cloths or using reusable metal utensils instead of disposable plastic utensils, are examples of the switches that the lifestyle is based upon. The logic behind it is to invest more money into higher quality products that will last you longer. This lifestyle does a great deal of good in regards to the problem of pollution. Zero waste is something that everyone should consider, not only for the benefits it has for the planet, but also the money it saves in the long run.

Both minimalism and zero waste should be taken seriously by anyone and everyone that comes in contact with it. The benefits definitely outweigh the drawbacks and it is something to consider.  

The Hypothetical • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in