The Hypothetical

• February 11First Day of JV/Varsity Spring Sports Mar 4

• January 28Mid-Winter Break begins Feb 15

• January 7Welcome Back!

Holidays in the Hamptons

Back to Article
Back to Article

Holidays in the Hamptons

Buckskill Winter Club

Buckskill Winter Club

Buckskill Winter Club

Kathryn Powell, Staff Writer

What are your plans for the holidays? While you’re fighting your way through the crowds at Tanger, or stressing over your IA that you haven’t yet started, think about what you can give back to our community. Our school offers so many opportunities to help people who are alone or in need for the holidays, however, the number of participants is mediocre. Ask yourself, have you taken a note from the giving tree at the front desk? Have you donated a toy for Toys for Tots? If you haven’t, then make sure you pick a gift from the giving tree to make someone’s Christmas morning extra special. Or, donate a toy in one of the boxes in the lobby to make sure someone has a present for the last night of Hanukkah.

Toys are not the only thing you can donate. Check out the Sag Harbor Food Pantry and bring some cans of beans or soup, then maybe stay to hand some out to community members in need. Or if your family goes out for dinner, tip your waiter with a funny gift (in addition to money) to put a smile on their face. You could also visit a senior citizens home to go caroling. On December 21st, a group of high school students will go to Bridgehampton to sing carols at an assisted living home, and you would be more than welcome to join! If you’re interested, feel free to email me for details! ([email protected]) Don’t feel bad if you haven’t donated anything or planned an elaborate activity to help the community, just remember not only to think of your friends and family but those around you who may need a little extra spirit for the holidays as well.

After you’ve donated a toy or caroled in Bridgehampton, don’t forget to participate in the other festive activities around our town! Go to Buckskill with your friends on Friday night when the rink is all lit up. Like most of us, you’ll probably fall down, but it’s okay because your friends will fall down with you. Then make sure to walk through town to admire the beautiful trees and buildings that members of our community decorated. While you’re walking make sure to stop into Kites of the Harbor for a funny gift for your friend, or maybe your waiter! Whatever you choose to do for the holidays, make sure you get out of your comfort zone, think of others and have a blast!

About the Writer