The Student News Site of Pierson High School
Back to Article
Back to Article

Pierson NHS Takes the Plunge

Pierson NHS Takes the Plunge

December 10, 2018

Hypothermia? More like Hypothetical!

This Saturday, Pierson’s National Honor Society gave back to the East End community by diving into the frigid water at Cooper’s Beach during the Heart of the Hampton’s 15th annual Polar Bear Plunge. The organization started over thirty years ago as a small food pantry and an emergency assistance outreach. Heart of the Hamptons quickly grew, becoming an official non-profit organization in 2003. The group now provides services to over 1,500 people each year, with the mission “to help people in our local community who are in need, without discrimination, in a dignified manner.”

The Polar Bear Plunge, taking place every second Saturday in December, is the organization’s most anticipated event. It attracts hundreds of people each year, and this past weekend, Pierson’s NHS created its own team in an effort to benefit the cause and be among the freezing participants. In the weeks leading up to the plunge, NHS members raised over one thousand dollars from sponsors, all of which went directly to benefit the community by helping to stock the shelves of the food pantry with healthy food, to organize donated clothes, and to assist children, families, senior citizens and veterans.

At the event, in the below freezing temperatures, you could spot Woody and Buzz Lightyear, mermaids and unicorns, several Santa Clauses and many polar bears casually roaming the beach. As a member of the NHS team, I can attest the coldness of the freezing air, even before we jumped into the water. Although we collectively agreed that our feet and hands had never been colder, the entirety of the NHS team was happy to take the plunge to benefit the Heart of the Hamptons, and give back to the community. It was cold, but it was worth it.

For more information about Heart of the Hamptons visit https://heartofthehamptons.org.

The Hypothetical • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in