The Hypothetical

• February 11First Day of JV/Varsity Spring Sports Mar 4

• January 28Mid-Winter Break begins Feb 15

• January 7Welcome Back!

Say Yes to Destress(ing)

Seriously. Let's talk strategy.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Say Yes to Destress(ing)

Shutterstock

Shutterstock

Shutterstock

Kathryn Powell, Staff Writer

Don’t get me wrong, school is great, but sometimes it seems that all of the teachers come together and plan to assign as much homework as they can in one week. It’s inevitable that this overload can cause us students stress. Everyone feels this stress in some form and everyone has different ways of managing it. (I know that I get stressed when I think about the Group IV project that I haven’t started.) In this article, I’m going to give you guys some helpful strategies to manage your stress so that you can be more productive.

You probably hear people telling you to sleep more all the time and brush them off, but seriously, sleep. Studies say a teenager is supposed to sleep nine hours a night. (Ha ha ha) As students, we know that’s just not possible to do every night. However, try to fall asleep by 10 and you will feel much more refreshed in the morning.

Try to eat healthier foods during lunch. You will feel more nourished because you are giving your body the nutrition it needs. Also, hydration is key. Drinking water throughout the day is one of the best things to do for your body. Bring a water bottle to school and try to drink it twice, meaning fill it up at the water fountain. Water bottles are not only practical but fun because you can decorate them with stickers! (Editor’s note: Bring a reusable one and help the environment out!)

Write about it. Keep a journal with you during the day or at home, and if you’re not feeling your best, write down what you’re thinking. Or make a game plan for attacking your assignments, time management is very helpful and the key to reducing stress. Maybe you will fall in love with writing and come write for The Hypothetical! You can also meditate. I know that almost no one will meditate, but I promise that it is both very effective and easy to do. There are so many apps that guide you in meditation, such as the Calm app, or you can look up videos on YouTube for helpful guides. That said, the most important way to relieve your stress is doing something that makes you happy. It may not seem like it, but you will always have time to do something you love. Don’t stress out too much this week, we’re almost there!

About the Writer