The Student News Site of Pierson High School

Sketchbook: Sirena Lee-Carey

January 18, 2019

The sketchbooks.

You see students toting them around the hallways. They’re spiral-bound, with seams bursting and bindings busted. They’re ever expanding and remarkably resilient—every day brings a new coat of paint or a fresh smattering of graphite. Their covers are adorned with stickers and doodles, cut-outs from old fashion magazines and scraps of newspaper. Though some are more loved than others, each is undeniably unique to its owner.

The sketchbook is non-judgemental. It’s far less intimidating (and way more portable) than a 24 x 36 canvas, its pages can be ripped out and discarded in a moment of frustration. For many Pierson students, it’s a form of therapy. In this new series, we’ll be publishing some of the pages from the sketchbooks of artists in our school community. It’s a rare, personal look into the behind-the-scenes action of our incredible artists. Our inaugural artist is Sirena Lee-Carey, a senior who’s well known for her artistic talent. We’re honored to be able to share her work here, and hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

We’d like to credit Mr. Bartolotto and Mr. Solow for instilling this tradition at Pierson, as well as Mrs. Cataletto for continuing it. If you or someone you know is interested in sharing sketchbook pages with The Hypothetical, please leave a comment below with your name and grade. We look forward to seeing your work!

The Hypothetical • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in