The Student News Site of Pierson High School

27 East

EH Varsity Swimming

February 11, 2019

The East Hampton Varsity boys swim team has a very impressive lineup this season, as it usually does. This year they have some very skilled 8th graders and freshman, as well as new additions from the Hurricanes club team and returning athletes. After defeating Hauppauge and Sayville by a landslide, the Bonackers developed an undefeated 8 win streak. Two weeks ago, the swimmers took down West Islip without a diving lineup which automatically grants the opposing team 15 points. That 9 win streak makes the impressive group of boys League Champions.

The team’s fastest swimmer, Ethan McCormac, is constantly dropping time and continues to shred lanes at every meet. His 50-yard freestyle has hit 21 seconds yet again against West Islip, and he swam a 100-yard freestyle anchoring for the 400-yard freestyle relay. In that race, he lost his goggles and they created heavy to drag around his neck and loss of vision. Despite that unfortunate accident, he still broke 50 seconds and lapped an opponent, winning the race yet again.

The last two swimmers of the meet (an award one swimmer per meet receives for outstanding effort), were Kenny Sanchez from Montauk and Fernando Menjura from Sag Harbor. Kenny Sanchez performed excellently in the 500-yard freestyle, a brutal event, to steal extra points for the team. Fernando Menjura had a serious leg injury in school floor hockey and missed the entire league season, but has returned for the last dual meet and championships. Despite his lack of practice and recovering injury, he swam the 200 yard Medley relay into first place against West Islip.

The Bonackers do not cease to impress when it comes to performance, and I doubt that will change in the near future. The younger athletes who participate in the club and private swim training foreshadow a great future for the varsity team. They continue to come to practice in East Hampton every day, and train before the sun comes up every Saturday morning, showing how prepared they are to take Leagues for not only East Hampton but for Pierson too. The future for these swimmers must wait for now, as the Bonackers prepare to wreak havoc for other teams during final championships, as the Counties and States roster is one of the biggest and most intimidating yet. Watch out swimmers, here they come!

The Hypothetical • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in